These gluten free Chocolate Orange Energy Bites make the perfect healthy snack for kids!
Energy Bites are a staple in my house. My kids are snack monsters at the moment. I always try to have a batch of these on hand for when they get hungry. They’re packed full of slow releasing carbs from the oats and protein from the nut butter. These little bites contain enough substance to help keep kids full until the next mealtime.
They also make a great snack for adults too. They’re perfect for popping in your gym bag as a post-workout treat or even as a grab-and-go breakfast on mornings when you are in a rush!
Compared to the energy balls you buy in health food stores, these homemade variety are so cheap to make. I buy ingredients such as oats, nut butter and honey in bulk. They keep really well in the store cupboard, meaning you can make hundred of these little bites over the course of a few months for a fraction of the cost of the store bought ones.
Another reason why I love these energy bites is that you can chop and change a few of the ingredients to make totally different flavours. The standard ingredients in my recipe are oats, nut butter, honey, orange zest and shredded coconut. You can also add some other extras of your choice. For a nutritional boost try adding ground flaxseed or chia seed. Or to make them even more appealing to kids, try adding some chocolate chips! Serve in colorful treat cups.
What are your favourite flavour energy bites? I’m always looking for new flavour combinations so let me know in the comments below!
- 1 cup oats, dry
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, all-natural
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup chocolate chips, semisweet
- Zest orange.
- Place all the ingredients except the chocolate into a large bowl. Mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Roll the mixture into 10 equal sized balls and place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle it over the energy bites. Return them to the refrigerator for another 10 minutes.
- Eat straight away or keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.