This Chicken Wild Rice Casserole is creamy, full of flavor and packed with veggies! This dinner makes it so easy to feed the whole family in one dish.
Healthy Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
One of my favorite meals growing up was chicken and wild rice, I just couldn’t get enough! The rice was served with a creamy sauce and the chicken was always baked perfectly. So of course I couldn’t resist making a casserole with those same great flavors. This Chicken Wild Rice Casserole is packed with veggies and is an easy dinner recipe you’ll want to hold on to for years.
Why We Love Casserole Dishes
Casserole dishes are a favorite of mine for a few reasons! First, they are (usually) easy to make. Just dump everything into one pan and it all cooks together! Second, they usually have every part of your meal in the dish! They have your protein, grain and veggies wrapped up into one amazing pan! Third, they tend to be very freezer friendly. Sometimes I’ll make a double batch and just freeze the other pan to eat later. Fourth, very little clean up! I have my cutting board, knife and a saucepan! I cleaned those while my casserole finished baking. I love when a meal is easy to clean up! Check out our 15 Favorite Kid Friendly Casseroles!
What Is The Most Common Size of a Casserole Dish?
A 9×13 inch rectangular dish is the most common size called for in casserole recipes. It can usually feed 6-8 people. It holds between 12 and 14 cups of food. If you want to halve a casserole recipe that calls for a 9×13 inch pan, you can use an 8×8 inch pan because it holds between 6-8 cups of food. It probably won’t take as long to cook, so shave about 10 minutes off the cook time. It’s pretty hard to mess up most casserole recipes, so it should turn out just fine.
How to Make Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
I love this recipe because you cook the rice in the oven with all the veggies! No need to bust out your rice cooker and dirty another dish. You’ll add your chicken broth to the casserole dish with all your veggies! Then you’ll cover it tightly in foil so that it will steam and cook the rice. When that’s almost done in the oven, you’ll cut up your chicken, and make a quick sauce. This sauce will mix with the chicken broth and make the whole dish creamy! If you want to top your Chicken Wild Rice Casserole with a breaded topping, you’ll add that after you stir in the sauce and chicken!
Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
- 1 medium onion
- 5 medium carrot
- 5 stalk celery
- 1 1/4 cup, pieces or slices mushrooms, white
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup wild rice, raw
- 3 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 3 cup rotisserie chicken
- 8 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 4 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 cup bread cubes or stuffing cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop the veggies and mince the garlic. Add to a casserole dish with wild rice and chicken broth.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Dice the rotisserie chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- When the rice is almost done cooking, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add flour, salt and poultry seasoning; let cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese; cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat.
- If you want to make the breaded topping, melt the other 4 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread cubes.
- When the rice is done cooking, remove pan from the oven. Add the chicken and sauce; stir to combine. Add the bread cubes to the top and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Return pan to the oven (uncovered) and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm!