Who doesn’t love a gooey warm mozzarella stick dunked in a savory marinara sauce?? Since we are always trying to find new fun ways for kids to try fruits and veggies, we thought we would add a twist to a classic snack that kids already love. We added zucchini to our mozzarella sticks which adds nutrition, but also a new texture and flavor for kids to try!
Start out by peeling your zucchini really thin. We used a vegetable peeler and just pressed hard and it gave us perfect zucchini ribbons. Wrap the zucchini ribbons around a mozzarella cheese stick. You can also use mozzarella cheese that you have sliced into a stick shape. Let your toddler gnaw on a zucchini to keep him occupied while you are making these 🙂 When all your mozzarella sticks are wrapped in zucchini, prepare your ‘batter’. In one shallow bowl or tin, combine 2 eggs and 1 Tbsp water. Beat with a fork. In another tin combine 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs (this make it extra crunchy) Dip your wrapped sticks into the egg mixture and then press them into the crumb mixture until well coated.
Place on a baking sheet that you have sprayed with a bit of oil. We LOVE our MISTO sprayer because you can use any kind of oil you want in it! After you have sprayed your pan, then place your mozzarella zucchini sticks on it, and spray the tops of them. Place in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, until they are golden brown and the cheese is melted. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.
These are definitely a hit at our house! My kids even loved helping to peel the zucchini because they thought it looked cool. Serve as an appetizer, after school snack, or even as a side with dinner.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 8 stick string cheese
- 2 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, seasoned
- 1 none cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With a vegetable peeler or mandolin, slice zucchini into thin ribbons.
- Wrap each cheese stick with zucchini ribbons and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and water together.
- In another bowl, mix Panko and breadcrumbs.
- Dip each zucchini wrapped cheese stick in egg mixture, then in bread crumb mixture.
- Place on a sprayed baking sheet; spray tops with oil.
- Bake 8-10 minutes – until golden and cheese begins to melt.
- Dip in your favorite marinara sauce or this beyond veggie dip!
For other great ideas like this one, visit Events to Celebrate.