- 2 medium sweet potato
- 8 ounce pasta shells, jumbo
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 2 cup ricotta cheese, part skim milk
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, raw
- 3 cup broccoli, florets
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cook sweet potatoes in the oven for 50-60 minutes or place in the microwave for 8-10 minutes. Scrape the sweet potato into a bowl and mash with a fork until smooth. Let it cool to warm room temperature before using.
- Cook the jumbo pasta shells according to package directions and drain.
- Finely chop spinach. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan (1/3 cup), garlic, spinach, egg, salt and pepper and fresh lemon zest (zest of one lemon).Stir well. Stuff the cooked pasta shells with the squash/ricotta mixture and place them in a lightly greased 9X13-inch baking dish (depending on how full you fill the shells, you may not use all of them). Bake the shells for 18-20 minutes, until they are hot all the way through.
- Serve with your favorite marinara or Alfredo sauce. Serve steamed broccoli on the side. Season with lemon pepper if desired.