With just a few simple ingredients like chocolate, peanut butter, and chia seeds, you can make these delicious and healthy Chocolate Chia Cookies!
Chia seeds are an incredible super food loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. But so many people say that they don’t like the texture of chia seeds when they add them to chia puddings or chia smoothies. Chia seeds turn gelatinous, and the texture is a bit off-putting. This recipe for chocolate chia cookies however, is the perfect solution! The chia seeds in this recipe stay nice and crunchy instead!
Benefits of Chia Seeds:
Like other seeds, chia seeds are a super food! This means they are packed densely with vitamins and minerals. One tablespoon of chia seeds contains:
- 5 grams of fiber (per tablespoon!) This is great for getting kids their daily fiber requirements! Fiber is necessary for kids to have optimal digestion and regular bowel movements. These cookies can help them get there.
- 3 grams of protein. Chia seeds contain 14% protein which is vital for growing kids. Protein is the building block and repair for muscle and tissue development.
- 2282 mg of Omega 3 – Healthy fats are necessary for cell strength and brain development. Omega 3 is one of the harder fats to get enough of, since some of the best sources, like fish, aren’t part of many kids diets. Chia seeds are a great way to get this good fat.
- 752 mg of Omega 6 fatty acids
These nutrients make them a really great source of fiber, protein, and fat. Having all three makes chia seeds an ingredient that can keep kids full longer, and keep blood sugar regular.
While we have so many recipes using chia seeds on this blog, these chocolate chia cookie are simple, and kids love them. They are even gluten free! The peanut butter and chia seeds combined are a great source of protein and fiber, helping to curb your kids’ sugar cravings and keep them full until dinnertime. And they only take 10 minutes to bake!
These chocolate chia cookies are a great way to introduce your kids to a new food, in a new way. As you know, our motto is to serve kids a variety of healthy foods in a variety of ways!
For more chia seed recipes try:
Chocolate Chia Cookies
- 1 cup peanut butter, all-natural
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Roll the cookie dough into approximately 16 1-inch balls and place on the cookie sheet. Dip fork into a small amount of cocoa powder and flatten with a fork, dipping fork into cocoa powder after each cookie is flattened. Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are just starting to crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool.
- The cookies will keep in an airtight container for 48 hours.