Healthy fats from coconuts and chia seeds are beneficial to our skin. Not enough healthy fat in a child’s diet can lead to dry, flaky skin. One way to naturally improve the softness of skin, is to include more fats from whole foods sources like coconuts and chia seeds.
They’re called essential fatty acids (EFA) for a reason — your body needs them! And it doesn’t make EFAs on its own; you only get them from the foods you eat. Key elements in a natural skin care diet, essential fatty acids like omega-3s and omega-6s are the building blocks of healthy cell membranes. These polyunsaturated fats also help produce the skin’s natural oil barrier, critical in keeping skin hydrated, plumper, and younger looking. If you’re not getting enough EFAs in your diet, your skin may be dry or inflamed.
Both coconut and chia seeds are a good source of essential fatty acids. While many folks like to strip the coconut of all the other nutrients it’s packed with and just use the coconut oil, we prefer the whole coconut! Whole food sources of fat also contain other valuable nutrients, helping our body to use and absorb the best parts of the food.
For this Coconut Raspberry Chia Smoothie Recipe, we simply:
- Placed 4 tablespoons chia seeds and 1 cup of water in a bowl. Place in fridge and let soak overnight.
- Next day, combine chia seeds (including the liquid) 2 cups coconut milk, 1/4 cup shaved or grated coconut, and 2 cups frozen raspberries. Blend until smooth.
Top with fresh raspberries, extra coconut and chia seeds if your kids desire.
Then, drink up! This cute girl liked her smoothie in a coconut!
Grab some coconut milk, some fun straws, and some chia seeds and make this smoothie today!
We have lots of smoothie recipes! check out our smoothie category here, or even our 201 Smoothies and Juices for Kids book!
Coconut Raspberry Chia SmoothiePrint Pin Rate
- 4 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup water
- 2 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 2 cup raspberries, frozen
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- Place chia seeds and water in a bowl. Place in fridge and let soak overnight.
- In the morning, combine chia seeds (including the liquid), coconut milk, frozen raspberries, and coconut. Blend until smooth.