I remember growing up, my mom would always put homemade treats in my lunch for school. A lot of my friends would have hostess treats,or other store bought treats, and in my little 7 year old mind I was so jealous! It isn’t until I have looked back as an adult that I realize how lucky I really was! Homemade desserts are not only super delicious and way more filling, but they can contain quality ingredients and you can really pump up the nutrition.
This quinoa dessert bites recipe is packed with nutrition, but have a touch of added sweetness making them the perfect treat for a school lunch, after school snack, or even after dinner dessert! Quinoa not only provides fiber, and vitamins and minerals, but also protein making these little bites super filling! We added fruit for some bonus nutrients and also a natural sweetness.
Combine all your ingredients in a medium bowl, excluding the eggs. We used chopped apple and shredded coconut in ours, but you can really use any fruit! Once it is mixed together, add your beaten eggs and mix until combined. Using a cookie scoop, place a small amount into each compartment of a mini muffin tin. Muffin tins are such a great kitchen tool to use to make all sorts of different things. Sweet and savory, they make a perfect portion for kids, or for adults too! We use mini muffin tins for more decadent foods like these quinoa dessert bites, and the regular muffin tins for things like Breakfast Egg Cups. Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Once they are baked, allow to cool and dip in chocolate.
These make the perfect size treat for a little mouth, but are delicious enough to eat two! We love to be able to have snacks like these on hand those hectic times when you don’t have a lot of time to whip something up. Packing lunches in the morning and right after school are both times that are a little crazier and so doing a little meal prep makes your life so much less stressful when it comes to healthy food!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your cooked quinoa, oats, and chopped fruit. In a separate smaller mixing bowl, combine your cinnamon, sugar and salt. Add the spice mixture to the quinoa and oats. Stir in your chopped fruit. Once combined add the eggs, and mix just until combined.
- Scoop into a sprayed mini muffin tin, making sure the pan is thoroughly sprayed.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, and let cool
- Place chocolate squares in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on low 2-3 minutes until melted.
- Dip the dessert bites in chocolate and place on parchment paper to cool.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie