We are always looking for gifts that will help our kids to live a more active lifestyle and not just things that will end up in the back of a closet only having been played with a few times. These 10 gift ideas are things we have purchased for our kids that have gotten an incredible amount of use and really helped our kids to move!
- Mini Trampoline This contraption will get you through many winters. “Go jump 100 times on the trampoline” is my go-to phrase when the weather is too cold to go outside. Ages 3-6.
- Rody Horse I love this happy little bounce horse. If they are going to be corralled inside they might as well have a horse to ride. Bonus: The red looks especially darling under the Christmas tree. For ages 3-5.
- Basketball Hoop We have had this set for years and I can’t convince my boys to give it up. It is a permanent feature of their room and many baskets have been scored on this now too-small hoop. Ages 18 months-5 or 10 if you are my kid.
- Franklin Sports Indoor Goal Set If you are okay with hallway hockey this set is really fun. My husband is hoping to set up a hockey game in the garage this winter. We have also used the goals with an inflatable soccer ball.
- Hard Boiled Egg Cooker I have a daughter who LOVES hard boiled eggs. I tire of boiling them for her so as a birthday gift, she gets this little egg cooker and she can make her own… all she has to do is measure the water and plug it in. It comes in blue, red, white, silver and purple. Bonus: She is totally willing to make extra eggs for me when I need them!
- Hiking Backpack This is the cutest little backpack for a day hike. I didn’t know what to expect at that price but they are awesome quality. I bought one double the price for my older daughter and I think I’m going to order her one of these instead. It comes in 4 different colors and it’s just the right size for a kid. After carrying their snacks and water for miles last month I bought them each a pack and I’m filling it with their favorite hiking snacks and wrapping them up for Christmas. But really, it’s a gift for me and my aching back.
- Jump Rope and Book of Jump Rope Rhymes Miss Mary Mack, Mack, Mack all dressed in Black, Black, Black! These rhymes take me straight back to my elementary school days. If you get your kids a jump rope, you’d better be ready to take a shift as rope-turner. Order two for double dutch.
- Bilibo Have you seen kids playing in these? We have 6 of them now and all of my kids ages 2-13 love them. They are mostly for sitting and spinning on a hard surface but we have turned them upside down and made them into a balancing course around the living room. They are even fun to play with in the snow. There are lots of cute colors to choose from and they last forever! Ages 2-7
- A New Football Maybe it’s just my kids but they play football all day every day. I love the junior size for small hands. I don’t love the tackling into my furniture. My 9-year-old got the kicking tee with his football last year and thought that was the coolest thing ever. Also, a pump to bring all his flat footballs and soccer balls back to life.
- Ribbon Wands My teenage daughter used these ribbon wands to choreograph a dance for an Olympic themed girls’ camp over the summer. These are safe for ages 12 months and up and would be especially cute sticking out of a stocking.
Which one of these gifts would your kids love?
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie