Classic Peach Pie Recipe
Classic Peach Pie is the perfect dessert for warm summer evenings made with juicy peaches, warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and baked in a flaky crust until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
Every summer as all of the fresh fruit rolls in my husband has one request – pie! I don’t blame him. Fresh blueberry pie with homemade vanilla ice cream is about as good as it gets.
But let’s face it. When it’s hot out and the kids want to play you don’t always feel like rolling pie crust and preparing pie filling.
You don’t have to resort to store-bought desserts. All of the work of making pie is simplified in this inside out peach pie. No need to roll out the crust (and pray it holds together). Simply make little balls of dough to sick right inside the peach. This is a great task for kids!
What’s even better is that you skip all of the sweeteners normally added to the filling. The peach flavor shines on its own in inside out peach pie. As it bakes the juices thicken, creating a sweet syrup.
No peeling or slicing peaches either. Simply cut a freestone peach in half and remove the pit. Done.
You can make the pie open face. This creates a crispy pie crust (like the flaky top crust on a pie). Or you can put the top half of the peach over the pie crust. You’ll get a softer crust (like the bottom crust on a pie). Whichever is your favorite!
Serve inside out peach pie plain, with ice cream or with whipped cream. You can even serve it for breakfast with a bit of honey-sweetened whole milk yogurt! Eat with a spoon or just pick it up with your hands. The perfect dessert for kids.
My kids have a lot of allergies. So it’s always exciting when I make a dessert they can enjoy. Inside out peach pie is free of dairy, nuts, eggs, soy, corn and coconut. You can make it gluten free (I use rice flour) or with wheat.
When you want a summer treat without much work, without allergens and without much sugar go for inside out peach pie. You’ll get a dessert that is free of the bad stuff but big on flavor.
What is your favorite way to use fresh peaches?
Classic Peach Pie Recipe
- 8 medium peaches* 3 pounds total or 6-7 cups sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 recipe buttery homemade pie crust
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- course sugar optional
- Preheat your oven to 425℉. Prepear a double pie crust using our Buttery Homemade Pie Crust Recipe. Follow the steps just until you put the discs of dough in the fridge. Let them chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- To easily remove the skins from your peaches, blanch them by placing in a pot of boiling water for about 1 minute. Immediately remove and place in a bowl of ice water. The skins should slide right off. Slice peaches and place in a medium mixing bowl. Add lemon juice and vanilla extract and gently stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour on top of the peaches and gently stir to combine.
- Remove pie dough from the fridge and roll out one of the discs of chilled dough into a circle that is about 12 inches in diameter. Carefully transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, gently pressing the dough until it is smooth around the base of the pie plate. Pour your peach filling into the dish and spread evenly.
- Now you can start on the top lattice crust. Remove the other disc of chilled dough from the fridge and roll it out into a circle that is about 12 inches in diameter (the same as the bottom crust) Using a pizza cutter (this is the best way to get even strips), cut 10 even strips of dough that are about 1-inch wide. You can make an even lattice with these, or you can cut 4 of the strips in half again to create a more interesting lattice. Carefully thread the strips of dough over and under one another on top of the filling to create a lattice. Trip the excess dough around the edges of the pie and then flute the edges with your fingers or use a fork to press them around the edge of the pie dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cold water. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of the pie crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle with course sugar to add a little extra touch.
- Place the pie in your preheat oven and bake at 425℉ for 20 minutes. I like to put a baking sheet covered in foil under the pie to catch any drips. After 20 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 375℉ and bake 40-50 minutes longer. You can place a pie shield or tin foil on the edges of the pie to prevent them from browning too much. The pie is done when the filling is bubbling all over and the top crust a nice golden brown. Remove the pie from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Peach pie needs to cool at room temperature for 2-3 hours for the filling to thicken. If you slice the pie when it is warm, it will be too juicy and spill all over your plate. Once cooled, slice and serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
Healthy and delicious coming together. Can’t wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing =)