This week we’ve been sharing ideas for your entire Thanksgiving Meal with other food bloggers. Get the other dishes in the links at the bottom of this post and make this your best Thanksgiving Ever!
Stuffing is a staple at most Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners. But traditional stuffing is ruined by gobs of salt and butter! (Ok, maybe instead of ruined, more like- made amazingly delicious, but super un-healthy). Anyway- we can get the same delicious flavors as traditional stuffing, but made healthier, lighter, and full of incredible nutrients!
What really gives stuffing the amazing tastes and flavors are the fresh herbs! We used sage, thyme, and parsley. We also replaced the bread with some wild rice! Wild rice is a nutrient powerhouse. Even if your family isn’t gluten free, wild rice is a deliciously healthy substitution for bread.
At our grocery store, it’s actually cheaper to buy an entire pot of herbs, than a small clamshell plastic container of them. I will buy a new pot of herbs every few months, and keep it in my window sill until I manage to kill it. But, I can always replace it for just $2.99! After I purchase herbs this way, I repot them in a bigger pot, and it helps them last a little longer.
Veggies is the final component of making this stuffing super healthy! We kept it traditional, and just used celery, onions, and mushrooms.
Finally, we mixed it altogether and heated it throughout (full recipe below). You can make this and serve it straight after cooking, or you can stuff a bird with it! We have done both. When you stuff it, there is definitely more flavor and more of that soft and gooey texture to your finished stuffing.
Enjoy more recipes for your Thanksgiving feast by following the hashtag #realfoodholiday – or clicking on our links below.
- Deliciously Organic – Apricot Zingers
- Simple Green Smoothies – Pumpkin Spice Green Smoothie
- Mama and Baby Love – Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad
- Weelicious – Whipped Coconut Sweet Potatoes
- Keeper of the Home – Rustic Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Super Healthy Kids – Wild Rice Stuffing
- $5 Dinners – Rosemary Maple Glazed Turkey Breast
- Once a Month Meals – Cranberry Orange Maple Porkchops
- Kitchen Stewardship – Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookies
- 100 Days of Real Food – Pumpkin Cheesecake
- The Fresh 20 –Easy Apple Crumble