This is a chocolate dessert with avocado that everyone (picky toddlers and even pickier husbands included) will actually LOVE and devour! Superfood bark with dark chocolate, avocado, orange zest, unsweetened coconut shreds, and almonds… what’s not to love?!
- It’s sooooooo easy to make and people love it.
- It’s a great dessert to SHARE!
- You can add in fruits and veggies. ((oooooo, I’m dreaming up a Carrot Cake Butterscotch Bark right this minute!))
- Kids love to help make it.
- The portions/pieces are small, and you can have just a few small bites and feel satisfied.
Be sure to check out these other 20 avocado recipes from Super Healthy Kids you can try!
This isn’t just a dessert full of empty calories.
This is a great recipe to make with kids!! Depending on their age, they can help:
- MEASURE the toppings into individual bowls
- ZEST the orange
- SPRINKLE the toppings on top of the melted chocolate
- PRESS the parchment paper over the bark to make sure all the toppings stick
- BREAK the bark into pieces once it’s set/cooled
Chocolate Avocado Bark with Orange Zest and AlmondsPrint Pin Rate
- 3 cup chocolate chips, dark
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon almonds, sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place almonds on a roasting pan or cooking sheet and toast for 3 minutes, until lightly browned then remove from oven to cool.
- While the almonds are cooling, melt the chocolate chips over a double-boiler. Once they are melted completely, stir in 2 Tablespoons avocado, orange zest, orange juice, and honey (or maple syrup). Mix thoroughly and stir constantly.
- Pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Use a spoon to flatten and level the mixture. Sprinkle the toasted almonds, coconut shreds, additional orange zest, and sea salt over the top, pressing everything down gently with your hand or the back of a spoon.
- Cool for one hour in the refrigerator then, break it apart into pieces and enjoy!
Kelly is the author, recipe creator, and food photographer behind the blog Nosh and Nourish. She incorporates nourishing superfoods into every meal for her husband, adorable toddler, and herself (think quinoa, Greek yogurt, chickpeas, kale, blueberries, etc..) and manages to keep everything tasting absolutely delicious! She is also the author of the cookbook Superfoods at Every Meal, on shelves now. When not creating new recipes or taking pictures of them, she can be found exploring the Rocky mountains, gardening, hiking, or fly-fishing.