Vegetarian “Chicken” Sandwich Bites
- 15 ounce chickpeas (garbanzo beans), canned
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/8 cup parsley, fresh
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup bread crumbs, plain
- 4 medium rolls, dinner, wheat
- 4 cup green beans
- 4 medium clementine
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Toss into a bowl and mash using a fork or pastry blender.
- Blend the onion, parsley, and garlic together in a food processor. Add to the mashed beans and stir to combine.
- In separate bowl combine the egg, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon juice, baking powder, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix into the bean mixture and slowly add in the bread crumbs until dough is less sticky and able to shape. Shape into 4 small patties.
- Heat remaining oil in a medium pan. Add patties to hot pan and cook until brown on both sides; approximately 4 minutes per side.
- Place each patty onto a roll and add toppings as desired.
- Serve with steamed green beans and clementines on the side. .
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie