My review my favorite lunch boxes for kids from years of packing school lunches. I’ll tell you all the pros and cons of popular lunch boxes to save you time deciding which one is best for your kids!
Get healthy packed lunch ideas with our 90 healthy kid lunch ideas.
Having a great lunch box makes the entire school lunch experience so much better for your kids… and for you! Lunch boxes take quite a beating. They get smashed into backpacks, spilled on, and sometimes even forgotten with stinky food left in them. (Yech! Might be time for a replacement!) There are so many options out there, it’s hard to know which one fits your needs. So we put together a super thorough list of different lunchbox options, including the pros and cons of each type. Check them out!
- YUMBOX is leakproof! Pack wet foods like yogurt and applesauce (not water). Seals with one lid.
- Kid-friendly latch for easy opening and closing.
- Removable tray holds five 1/2 cup portions.
- Sturdy outer box with stainless steel supported hinge, Tritan (tray) and Silicone (seal).
- Dishwasher safe. Top rack only. Hand washing the outer shell and/or removing it before the heat dry cycle is highly recommend to preserve the seal.
- May be too small unless you have smaller children.
- The durability may not last unless you hand wash only.
- Leak-proof compartments. Entrees, sides, and snacks stay separated on-the-go without the inconvenience of multiple lunch bags or containers.
- Inner tray is microwave safe.
- Good portion sizes for all ranges of kids.
- Customizable compartments. Keep the 3-compartment structure as-is to pack larger main courses or add the optional divider to create 4 compartments.
- Not insulated and so it won’t keep food hot or cold
- Hand wash recommended
- Thermal insulated bento lunch box with two temperature zones for storing hot and cold foods.
- Integrated stainless steel vacuum insulated thermos food jar provides powerful insulation for hot foods.
- Double walled, air insulated bento lunch box keeps fruits & vegetables cool and fresh.
- 3 separate leak-proof bento compartments keeps food separated and visually appealing.
- Food thermos is shallow with a wide mouth, so kids can scoop food out easily. The insulated bento box is also shallow with rounded corners.
- Heavier than other lunch boxes. May be difficult for small children to carry.
- Not as easy to clean as other lunch boxes because you have to take multiple parts out and hand wash.
- Designed with kid-friendly, easy-open lids. Lid fit is snug, not tight; great for people with special needs.
- 3 compartments (9.4″ x 6.1″ x 2″); made from FDA-approved, high-quality polypropylene.
- Great for portion control or special diet; keeps food separated; safe for microwave, freezer, dishwasher; these food storage containers nest together to save space when not in use.
- Not-leak proof; avoid liquids or runny food.
- Includes stainless steel lunchbox, 2 round lidded containers; a soft carry bag, and set of decorative magnets.
- Individual compartments ensure foods don’t touch each other and arrive looking neat and appealing.
- Made out of safe, non-toxic, and recycled materials – safe from lead, PVC, phthalates, or BPA.
- All in one piece design for easy care and cleaning – no mismatched lids to lose – dishwasher safe.
- Not completely leakproof, but things like tomato sauce on pasta won’t leak into the other compartments.
- Much more expensive than other stainless options
- With one big compartment that’s perfect for a sandwich and two smaller sections designed for sides, your entire lunch fits in one container.
- Safe and durable. Made from high quality 18/8 stainless steel. Even with the colorful dot covers, 18/8 the stainless steel is all that touches your food. And because they’re virtually indestructible, they’re great for any on-the-go lifestyle.
- The divided stainless steel lunch box saves you the hassle of opening countless containers for quick convenience and a beautiful presentation.
- Super-simple cleanup, just toss your Bento Trio and lid in the dishwasher.
- The lids and dividers aren’t watertight so pack only dry foods. Can use a separate container to hold dips and dressings.
- The 100% stainless steel lunchbox set works great for packing a small sandwich on the bottom plus a wet and dry side dish in the top container.
- All together when boxed up, the bento measures 4 inches wide, 5 1/2 inches long and 2 3/4 inches high and fits about 4 cups of food. The bottom section is 1 inch deep (contains about 1 1/2 cups food) and fits a small whole sandwich on sliced bread. The top layer is a bit larger at 1 1/2 inches deep (contains about 1 3/4 cups of food) and works well for bulkier food, such as chips, sliced fruit, leftover pastas or salads.
- The clips are kid-tested and can be adjusted to desired stiffness.
- ECO lunchboxes are not leak proof. Damp foods work well, but because the lids don’t have any plastic gaskets or other added synthetics to create a seal, very wet foods may leak.
- Lots of really cute designs to choose from
- This carrier is a perfect fit for the Bentology Bento Box or combo set.
- Lots of different pockets. Has an expandable side pocket with a zipper for your beverage bottle. Front expandable pocket can hold extra items. Interior mesh pocket.
- Ideal size for younger kids.
- The width is thinner than other lunch bags and may not fit as much inside
- Equipped with eco-friendly PEVA lining that is soft and easy to clean. Just wipe it with a wet cloth and it’s good as new.
- Very spacious – can hold a lot of food.
- Front and side pockets to carry extra items and multi-functional strap with buckle makes the lunch bag easy to carry. Lunch bag can be carried by hand or be tied to backpack at the handle.
- Made with high-quality nylon and polyester fabric and reinforced zippers to ensure maximum durability.
- Not as good of insulation as some other lunch bags
- PackIt’s classic lunchbox features a groundbreaking all-in-one cooling system. Freezable gel is built into in the walls of the bag chill contents for hours. There are no extra parts to lose or forget in the freezer
- The entire lunch box collapses flat for compact storage in the freezer. Freeze the lunchbox overnight (12 hours) and by morning, the walls of the bag will be completely frozen and ready to cool items for hours.
- Large zip opening allows for faster top-load packing and locks in cool, dry air. A buckle handle conveniently lets you attach this lunch box to backpacks, messenger bags, sports bags and more. The exterior mesh side pocket holds an 8oz water bottle, utensils and napkin or snacks.
- Heavier than other lunch bags because of the built in freezer packs.
- Some complaints of zippers breaking
Extras: Lunch Box Accessories
- Vacuum insulation: Double wall stainless steel food jar features vacuum insulation technology that keeps contents cold for up to 7 hours or warm for up to 5 hours. Vacuum insulation maintains temperature of the contents longer, which inhibits bacteria growth and spoiling.
- Durable: Designed with kids in mind. The stainless steel interior and exterior is durable and withstands the demands of daily use; the double wall design allows this food jar to stay cool to the touch with warm foods and sweat-proof with cold foods. Has a ergonomically-designed lid with a rubber grip for easy handling; the base of the jar is non-slip and scratch resistant.
- Easy to Fill: The wide opening makes the food jar easy to fill, eat from and clean; It is a great way to pack fresh and healthy meals for school or on the go.
- Less expensive than other similar products
- Smaller filling capacity – only 10 ounces
- In my experience doesn’t keep food warm for 5 hours. By the time my kids eat lunch, their food is lukewarm.
- Perfect Size: Ideal size for everyday use. Each ice pack measures 4.75″ x 4.75″ x 0.25″.
- Convenient: Fits into all types of lunch bags, lunch boxes, coolers and grocery totes.
- Slim Design: Great for using in tight spaces or stacking several together for greater cooling power.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie