10 Fresh Produce Items with A Long Shelf Life
Choose these produce items that let you enjoy fresh food for an extended period of time without going back to the store.
Got fruits and veggies with a short shelf life? Check out our freezer guide for fresh produce to make them last.
Less Frequent Shopping Trips
In the age of COVID-19, we’re being asked to hunker down, stay home, and reduce non-essential trips to public spaces. Collectively, we’re spacing out our trips to the store, and eating more non-perishable foods. And frozen fruits and veggies are becoming a mainstay!
But just because we’re shopping less frequently doesn’t mean we need to forgo fresh produce altogether. These ten fresh produce items last a long time when properly stored… between two weeks and three MONTHS.
Pick up some of these veggies for your family the next time you stock up!
10 Fresh Produce Items with a Long Shelf Life
- Apples (up to 2 months.) Store whole apples in the refrigerator.
- Oranges (up to 4 weeks.) Store whole oranges in the refrigerator.
- Potatoes (up to 5 weeks.) Store in a cool, dark place, but do not refrigerate.
- Winter squashes (up to 3 months.) Store butternut and acorn squashes in a cool, dry place, but do not refrigerate.
- Onions (up to 2 months.) Store them in a cool, dry place, separate from potatoes.
- Sweet Potatoes (up to 5 weeks.) Store in a cool, dry place, but do not refrigerate.
- Beets (up to 2 weeks.) Cut off the greens and refrigerate in a breathable bag.
- Cabbage (up to 2 months.) Store whole heads in the refrigerator.
- Carrots (up to 4 weeks.) Cut off the greens (if necessary) and refrigerate.
- Celery (up to 2 weeks.) Buy whole celery (not hearts) and store in the refrigerator.
Produce Storage Guide
This chart will give you a good idea of how long produce lasts and the best way to store it.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
This is a good article for this time because not everyone is aware about fresh groceries which is important for our healthy life. And how can we bring this fresh produce into our homes? Thanks for this informative article.