Looking for ways to include more fruits and vegetables at every meal? Check out our meal plans for help today!
Toast Toppings: 20 Ideas for a Healthy Breakfast
Just by looking at our families meal plans, you would not realize that my kids actually eat toast every single day. They also eat other foods that we prepare, but they always add toast..always! So, with T-Week in full swing, I wanted to explore some variations on our favorite meal, breakfast!
Kids Favorite Toast Toppings
- Erica loves to get creative with fruit faces on her toast. Her first creation yesterday was chocolate chip hair, banana eyes, strawberry nose, and apple mouth.
- Typical toppings: Most mornings we add honey or cinnamon!
- Flower Power. Slicing strawberries lengthwise, and arranged in a fan gives the look of a flower. So fun for tea parties, princess parties, or that special little girly girl!
- Applesauce Toast! I asked last night on twitter what favorite toast toppings were. Among the replies was Maria (from Two Peas In Their Pod) who said she loved applesauce on toast. Maria posted a delicious looking recipe for rhubarb applesauce just today!
- Another twitter reply was from Healthy Kids Challenge for peanut butter/ Banana toast! We love this too (except we dessertified it with a drizzle of chocolate).
- Homemade jam has always been a favorite of ours. We've never tried orange marmalade though as that is what @marygooch on twitter said was her favorite!
- Erica (my 10 year old) insisted on designing this Valentine special: Peanut butter, strawberries, and chocolate! MMMM. She even took her own picture!
- Mustard! Strange, I know. My best friend all through high school would eat mustard toast for breakfast every day!
- Almond Butter, honey and granola! What a great combo, right?
- Poached Eggs on Toast! This combo of fat, protein, and whole grains makes a perfect balanced breakfast. (I tried to make a poached egg for the photo yesterday, and it was an absolute disaster!)
- Light Cream cheese and homemade jam. I always keep some spreadable cream cheese on hand. I love this stuff for wraps, sandwiches, toast, and dips!
- Pureed pinto beans and grated cheese. This doesn't have to be for burritos only (or breakfast only for that matter). Some people don't like typical breakfast foods, and this is a great alternative.
- Mushroom Toast. I had this for the first time as a teenager in East Germany (before the wall came down) It was so delicious, I can literally still taste it. It had sautéed mushrooms, garlic, and a sprinkling of cheese on top. My kids aren't keen on mushrooms yet, but I'm still trying.
- Toast Dippers. You can have any variation of dipping sauce. This dip is hummus, which is why we have the carrots to go with it. I chopped the toast with my favorite crinkle cutter.
- Fresh Tomatoes and Parmesan Cheese. Bake this for a few minutes to get the cheese crispy. Works especially well with those who have a toaster oven.
- Nacho Toast. Add salsa, green onions and cheese- then bake. The salsa I bought was super runny, or these would look better, I'm sure!
- Light cream cheese, raisins and cinnamon. Mix these altogether and spread.
- Nutella and apples. Nutella is a mixture of hazelnuts, cocoa and sugar. While it is a dessert food (sugar is the first ingredient), its fun to use on occasion.
- Laughing Cow Cheese wedge with cucumber slices.
- Hawaiian Pizza. Orange marmalade for a spread (optional), Pineapple tidbits, lean, nitrite free ham, and some cheese baked on top.
So, there you have it! Our 20 healthy ways to eat whole wheat toast. What is your favorite way?