One of my all time favorite snack ideas from our meal planning site are these freezer banana bites! Made with slices of banana and dipped in chocolate and coconut, they make a perfect bite sized summer snack for little ones.
Bananas are such an amazing food to keep in your home for your children! With the recommendations for potassium increasing, I can’t think of a better way to get it than from bananas.
Bananas have some terrific benefits for children:
- Bananas are a natural antacid! Have your kids ever gotten heartburn? Bananas can help!
- They are high in B vitamins, which means they can help improve nerve function.
- They are also a good source of fiber. So many kids have bowel trouble, fiber is a great way to relieve that.
Steps and Tips
- So, go grab some bananas and cut them into chunks. Arrange on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper with a toothpick in each banana.
- Freeze first, bananas only, for about 1-2 hours. This is the most important part! Dipping a banana that isn’t frozen makes the process difficult and messy! After bananas are frozen, the chocolate adheres to the banana much more easily.
- Melt some chocolate chips (semi sweet if you like it or milk chocolate)
- Take bananas out of the freezer and dip each one in the melted chocolate, and then in a bowl full of coconut.
- Return bananas to the freezer until the chocolate hardens up!
We also love this snack idea because the kids like to be involved with preparation. Any time you can involve your kids in the kitchen, you must! It’s a great way to bond with them, create memories, and teach them important skills that they are going to need when they leave home! Some of my only memories involve cooking with my mom in the kitchen, and I have a really bad memory! lol
(also try our full dipped bananas!)