I started blogging on Super Healthy Kids, way back in 2008! One of the first blogs I read was Roni’s from Green Lite Bites. I saw her post this recipe that she called “watermelon ice“. Roni posted it 7 years ago, and we’ve literally made it every summer since! Once the watermelon starts hitting the grocery stores, we take one home and make this “ice cream.
The simple, two step recipe is
- Blend it: 1 cup of watermelon, and 1 cup of yogurt.
- Freeze it: Sometimes it’s less frozen and we drink it through a straw. Sometimes, it’s more frozen and we eat it like a slushy- half straw, half spoon. And sometimes we freeze it completely and eat it like ice cream! Either way, it’s sweet and delicious! (I wish it were more red, but with the yogurt, it’s definitely pink!)
I like this idea, because I always cut up our entire watermelon right when I bring it home. By the time we get to the bottom of the bowl, we have small broken pieces. My kids do like eating the wedges with the rind on, but my chopped up pieces are so much cleaner.
Why we love watermelon:
- Watermelon is a good source of lycopene, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin A
- It’s a great source of water (kids are going to start needing to be hydrated and watermelon is 92% water!)
- Watermelon is high with energy boosting natural sugar, yet low in calories.
- Excellent snack and fun to eat
Get the full recipe below and make this happen today!
If you are out of ideas for including more fruits and vegetables into every day meals, check out our meal plans! We post 28 new recipes every week so you don’t have to wonder if your kids are getting all the nutrients they need! Sign up here!