This classic Italian dish is full of chicken, vegetables, tomatoes and herbs- and is slow cooked for maximum flavor. This is sure to become a family favorite!
Slow-Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 medium bell pepper, orange
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 1 medium onion
- 3 clove garlic
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 8 ounce rotini pasta, whole wheat, dry
- 2 tablespoon parsley, fresh
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cup blackberries
- Slice peppers and onion. Mince garlic.
- Cut up chicken and toss with the Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and red pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the seasoned chicken, and cook until it has seared slightly on all sides. Transfer chicken to a slow-cooker.
- In the same pan, add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil and add the peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables have softened slightly. Transfer the mixture to the slow-cooker.
- Add the pasta sauce and bay leaf to the slow-cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, until chicken is tender.
- When ready to serve, prepare pasta according to package directions. Toss the pasta with a bit of the sauce first, then top with the chicken, peppers and onion.
- Top with fresh chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve blackberries on the side
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie