- 1 pound beef, ground, 90% lean
- 1 1/2 medium onion
- 1 cup, pieces or slices mushrooms, white
- 3 clove garlic
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon basil, dried
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 8 ounce spaghetti pasta, whole-wheat, dry
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 cup spinach
- 1 cup mandarin oranges, canned in juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoon vinegar, balsamic
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently to crumble.
- Meanwhile, chop onions, slice mushrooms, and chop garlic.
- Add beef and veggies to a crockpot; stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings, then cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Just before serving, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain oranges.
- While pasta cooks, toss together the spinach, orange wedges, oil, and vinegar in a large bowl.
- Serve sauce over pasta, garnished with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese; serve salad on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie