We typically think of crepes as a fancy breakfast around our hours, but this whole grain mini chocolate crepes recipe is a breakfast we could make everyday!
Crepes make my kids run to the table. I love how easy the batter comes together and the combination of toppings is endless. Cocoa crepes are perfect for a decadent breakfast where you don’t have to break a sweat. You can also munch on these for dessert or a special surprise in a lunch box. I used coconut oil and white whole wheat flour in the batter to make it full of healthy fats and fiber.
The great thing about mini crepes is that you can make up to 6 at a time on your griddle. Just pour 1/8 cup (or 2 tablespoons) of batter onto a hot griddle in little puddles and smooth them out into circles with the back of your measuring cup. They cook up quick, about 30 seconds per side, and you’ll have a mountain of adorable mini crepes for your hungry crew.
Are you feeling fancy? Dress up your crepes with a round scalloped-edged cookie cutter. Just make a stack of about 6, and cut them all at the same time.
Crepes can be rolled up or folded into dainty envelopes. When you’re filling them try different combinations like:
- Greek yogurt with raspberries
- cottage cheese with strawberries
- or peanut butter with bananas.
Enjoy the applause after serving this healthy breakfast. Although the applause might sound like kids chewing or asking for seconds.
- 1 cup flour, whole wheat
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Heat a griddle to 350 degrees.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients into the same bowl and thoroughly whisk until everything is well combined.
- Pour 1/8 cup (or about 2 tablespoons) of batter onto your heated griddle in 3 – 6 puddles. Quickly use the back of your measuring cup to smooth out the crepe into a circle.
- Cook for 30 seconds and then flip your crepes.
- Cook for 20 – 3o seconds more and then transfer onto your serving plate.
- Optional: When you’re ready to serve, use a round scalloped-edge cookie cutter to make your crepes uniform in size and have pretty edges.
- Serve with yogurt, cottage cheese, or peanut butter with your favorite fruit.