Have you tried a white veggie lasagna one pot meal? This dinner is kid friendly, packed with veggies, and is perfect to store in the freezer or make-ahead. Whenever we make lasagna, whether it’s traditional red sauce, or with a white sauce and veggies, there is never enough for my family. My husband always tries to set some aside before dinner so he has some leftovers for work the next day, but he doesn’t always remember in time, and the entire pan is gone!
Our favorite veggies for this dinner is:
- Carrots (we used 4)
- Broccoli (we used 2 cups)
- Mushrooms (also 2 cups)
- and one onion
Our layers as pictured above we made:
- First layer, the white sauce (we make in a pot with a butter and flour roux (recipe below)
- Second layer the noodles. We do not pre-cook noodles. We never have. Plus, we don’t purchase “No-boil” noodles. ANY lasagna noodle can be made into a lasagna without pre-cooking! I’ve done this for 20 plus years without ever having uncooked noodles in the end.
- Third layer- the veggies! Most important layer if you are making VEGGIE lasagna!
- Fifth layer- the cheese (a mixture of cottage cheese and mozzarella)
And that’s it- make the entire thing in the morning, and keep in your fridge. Just leave the baking for the night (I usually do it this way). OR, make double and put one int he freezer and cook one right away.
White Veggie LasagnaPrint Pin Rate
- 4 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 4 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 2 cup milk
- 12 ounce lasagna noodles, dry
- 4 medium carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cup, pieces or slices mushrooms, white
- 2 cup broccoli, florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add 4 tablespoons flour, and stir constantly until bubbly and thick.
- Slowly add 2 cups of milk (in 1/2 cup portions). Stirring and waiting till it thickens after each addition.
- Set white sauce aside.
- Chop all veggies.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a skillet and turn on heat to medium. Add veggies to skillet and cook till just under done, about 5 minutes. Set veggies aside.
- Combine 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese with 2 cups cottage cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Mix an egg and salt into mixture.
- Prepare a 9X13 pan by spraying the bottom with cooking spray. Add 1/2 cup white sauce to bottom. Arrange noodle on top of white sauce so the noodles fill the pan. It’s OK if they overlap.
- Add 1/2 of the veggies to the top of the noodles, 1/2 of the cheese mixture, and 1/2 of the remaining white sauce. Repeat layers once. Top with 2 ounces shredded mozzarella and 1 ounce grated parmesan cheese.
- Spray the back of a layer of tin foil and cover dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook lasagna at 350 covered for 50 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 10 more minutes.