Asparagus is our Healthy letter A food of the day! Asparagus is:
- A great source of folate (for all your pregnant mamas out there)
- Good source of beta carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
- Excellent source of Vitamin K, C, and A
What we did to make Twigs In a Blanket:
- We prepped some bread dough (I used all white flour in this artisan bread recipe, but you could also use half whole wheat. you could also choose a premade biscuit dough, although I haven’t found one I think is healthy yet)
- After the dough had risen sufficiently, we took small balls of dough (1 TBL amounts), rolled it in our hands, and pressed it flat.
- Took one or two asparagus spears and bent off the woody ends.
- Wrapped one small piece of turkey around the spear (only on about half of them)
- Wrapped the bread dough around the spear and rolled it between our hands until it was completely wrapped and sealed.
- Brushed rolls with egg white wash.
- Sprinkled fresh parmesan cheese on dough.
- Baked at 350° for 15 minutes (or until bread is cooked through)
So instead of processed hot dogs, bring these asparagus snacks to your Super Bowl Parties this week