A new pizza recipe for you today from the new cookbook:
The crust on this Chicken Sausage and Kale pizza was so good, my kids decided they wanted me to use it every time we make pizza! You will want to also, I promise.
Before we get into our Kale Pizza Recipe, first a word about this cookbook. Kelly, from Nosh & Nourish uses 10 everyday superfoods and incorporates them into every single recipe!
The Recipes include these 10 Superfoods
- Sweet Potatoes
- Coconut oil
- Greek Yogurt
- and Walnuts
Every recipe looks like a dish my kids will eat. She’s got 100 recipes including: Blueberry bruschetta, sweet potato tots, Quinoa-corn-black bean quesadillas, chocolate silk pie, and even chocolate chip cookies! mmmm….
Even though I have over 20 recipes flagged to try, we decided to share this pizza one. You can never have too many pizza recipes, and I love that this crust included chickpeas. I just had to give it a try.
To make the dough, we let the yeast proof in hot water for about 10 minutes. Then we added the rest of the crust ingredients, including some mashed chickpeas. After the dough ingredients were kneaded together, we let the dough rise for 1 hour. (the cookbook has it sit in the fridge for several hours, but I honestly didn’t have time). It worked just as well with traditional rising.
After an hour, our dough had doubled in size. We rolled it onto a pizza stone and cooked for 10 minutes.
Separately, we cooked the kale and chicken sausage over a skillet to get the sausage cooked through, and the kale warm and soft.
And while I normally don’t care for sausage, this chicken sausage tasted great on the pizza. It was the perfect combination! So, that’s it! Be sure to check out Kelly’s blog, Nosh and Nourish. She always has something tasty AND healthy.
Also, check out the book for all the recipes.
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon yeast, active dry
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Ranch Dressing Seasoning Packet
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 2 1/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2 link chicken sausage
- 6 leaves basil, fresh
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup, chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon vinegar, balsamic
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 8 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium mango
- Heat the water to about 120°F. Combine the hot water, yeast, and sugar in a medium bowl. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes. The yeast should activate and become foamy.
- Add the chickpeas and coconut oil to the yeast mixture. Use an immersion blender (a food processor or blender will also work) to puree until smooth. Add the salt, ranch mix, oregano, basil, and flour; mix thoroughly. Use your hands to roll dough into a ball, kneading 2-3 times. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray or place a pizza stone in the oven to preheat.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it 10 times. Use a rolling pin to flatten out the dough to 12-14 inches in diameter and ½ inch thick. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet or hot pizza stone. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the chicken sausage and coarsely chop basil. Melt the coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat; once oil is hot, add the kale, balsamic vinegar, and sausage. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until kale is softened and the sausage is heated through and lightly browned.
- Remove the partially baked dough from the oven. Spread the pizza sauce to within 1 inch of the edge; sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese, basil, and sautéed kale and chicken sausage. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Slice and serve hot with sliced mango on the side.