- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, green
- 1/2 stalk celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound beef, ground, 95% lean
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, brown, Italian, or Crimini
- 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 1/2 can (6 oz) tomato paste, canned
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 ounce spaghetti pasta, whole-wheat, dry
- Chop onion, carrot, green pepper, celery and mince garlic.
- In a large saucepan cook meat, mushrooms, onion, carrot, green pepper, celery, and garlic till meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Drain off any fat.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, water (or red wine if preferred) basil, oregano, 1 small bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.
- Combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of cold water. Stir into sauce. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain well.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 353mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g