Simple roasted beets with just salt and oil is one of our favorite vegetable side dishes of all time!
Roasting vegetables literally does something magic to the flavor and texture of pretty much every vegetable. It brings out a sweet caramelized flavor and the perfect bite-able texture. These are some tips for roasting vegetables including roasted beets:
- Cut into bite size uniform pieces. If you can get all the pieces roughly the same size they will cook a lot more evenly.
- Don’t be afraid to use oil. Not only does the oil help the vegetables cook more evenly and crisp up in the oven, but it also adds a rich flavor that makes roasted vegetables irresistible.
- Make sure there is space between your veggies. Crowding will make the vegetables steam instead of roast.
- The ideal oven temperature is 425 degrees F.
I feel like beets have a bad wrap. Most people who don’t like them will tell you they taste like dirt, and if they aren’t prepared well that is very true. People often throw beets in a pot of water and boil away, but in my opinion very few veggies are good boiled. Roasting beets though is a game changer! Simple Roasted Beets is the recipe that is going to change you from a beet hater into a beet lover. They are sweet, and a little savory because of the salt. They have a caramelized texture and a soft inside. Plus – they are SO beautiful to look at!
How to Roast Beets
Roasting vegetable makes them extra sweet as the natural sugars caramelize in the high heat. Beets are already quiet sweet which means roasting them turns them into extra sweet crispy little delights. Place them on a parchment paper and add some nice kosher salt for the perfect balance and you’ve just made a very easy side dish that even your toddlers will love. We like roasted beets just as they are but you can also roast extras and toss them in salads and soups, or get totally crazy and stick them in sandwiches and wraps. Even if you consider yourself a beet hater, you’ve got to try this recipe. It’s going to make a lover out of you.
Simple Roasted Beets
- 5 medium beet
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the beets and use a vegetable scrubber to wash the outside. Remove the stem and root end with a sharp knife. Use a vegetable peeler or pairing knife to peel the beets. Slice the beets into 1/4-inch thick rounds (alternately, you can dice them). Place in a bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over the beets and toss to coat.
- Place beets in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast until the beets are fork tender, 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt; serve.