You’ve heard turmeric is good for you, but how do you use it? Here’s a simple recipe for turmeric that your family will love. Honey roasted turmeric chicken is flavorful and easy to make!
This sweet-savory chicken got two thumbs way up from my husband! He loves flavor, and this honey roasted turmeric chicken is anything but boring.
And the best news? It’s not only packed with flavor, but it’s bursting with antioxidants. I’d say that’s a win-win.
Health Benefits of Turmeric and Honey
What can be so great about some roasted chicken, you ask? Well, it’s glazed in some pretty amazing ingredients.
First, there’s the turmeric. Turmeric is becoming increasingly popular for health purposes because it contains curcumin, which is an antioxidant. This means that turmeric helps fight inflammation in large enough quantities, helping ward off heart disease, cancer, and other inflammation-related health issues.
Second, we used honey. While honey we think of honey as a sweetener, it also contains antioxidants and boosts immunity. Interestingly, honey also has antibacterial properties and has long been used to treat illness and injuries in many cultures.
Turns out turmeric and honey are quite the match! Double antioxidants in this recipe!
How to make honey roasted turmeric chicken
Let’s get going, I’m hungry.
Begin by cutting your chicken breasts into strips. Mine were between 1/2 and an inch wide. Cutting chicken strips not only helps portion out your chicken, but it allows for more surface area to be coated in delicious glaze. And it cooks faster than big chunks, so it’s winning all around.
Oh, and don’t forget to pre-heat your oven. 350 degrees, please. And mince your garlic, if you haven’t already.
Next, whisk up the glaze in a medium sized bowl. Honey, soy sauce, turmeric, minced garlic, and cornstarch. Add the cornstarch slowly and/or break up any clumps before adding it so that it doesn’t clump up in the mixture. Whisk until well combined. If you have issues with the honey mixing it, consider heating it up before adding the cornstarch.
We’ll quickly sear the chicken to help it retain moisture. In a large pan over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of oil (vegetable, olive, whatever you like) and then add chicken. Sear for 1-2 minutes on each side, until the surface is white but the center is still pink.
Now place your chicken strips in a single layer at the bottom of a medium-large baking dish. I used a 9×13 pan and it worked great. Pour the glaze over top and flip chicken until coated.
Bake for 10 minutes at 350* F. Take the dish out and spoon some glaze from the bottom of the pan on top of the chicken again. Place back in the oven for 10 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Serve with freshly chopped green onions. I ended up wrapping a piece of chicken in the lettuce “garnish” and it was fantastic! Like a lettuce wrap, but less work because of no shredding. Try it! The extra glaze also goes nicely over brown rice.
Honey Roasted Turmeric Chicken
- 2 pound chicken breast
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 4 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oil, vegetable
- 3 stalk green onion
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Cut chicken into strips (about 1/2-1 inch wide).
- Make glaze: whisk together honey, soy sauce, turmeric, minced garlic, and corn starch until fully combined. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and sear chicken for 1-2 minutes on each side, until top and bottom are white (the middle will still be pink).
- Place chicken strips in a medium-large baking dish and pour glaze over them. Flip chicken strips until coated.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Take baking dish out of the oven and spoon glaze from the bottom of the dish on top of the chicken once more. Place back in the oven and bake for 10 more minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with chopped green onions.