Homemade Protein Bars with oats, peanut butter and a drizzle of chocolate to make your kids reach for their new favorite satisfying snack!
Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like protein bars have come a long way in the last 10 years! It used to only be Cliff and some other brand that was a hunk of goo. Now there are so many flavors at every grocery store and they actually taste great! But sometimes we like to have a little more control over what goes into them, so make your own!
I’m a Cheater
I cheated. I used protein powder. Eeeek! I know most of you don’t like to use it but I did because it makes this recipe sooooo easy and I love my protein powder! While I was researching homemade protein bars all the recipes I found either included protein powder or dates (maybe it was figs) and that just didn’t seem as simple to me. Maybe I’m wrong… let me know! And please, let me know if you have a great homemade protein bar recipe you love, I need to give it a try!
No Peanuts? No Worries.
I used peanut butter for my bars but you can use whatever nut butter you have in the house or whatever works for your family’s allergies.
I know, I know… chocolate, I’m breaking all the rules today. A little drizzle goes a long way and if that little drizzle gets your kid to eat it… it may just be worth it! I made two batches of these and turned one into “dessert” by topping it with some candies (another rule I’m breaking)! But guess what, these desserts went like crazy at our family potluck and the kids were the ones eating them! I called them peanut butter bars and that’s all they needed to know to gobble them right up!
I have two tips for this recipe… ONE: If the mixture seems a little dry, add in a little more of your nut butter. Each nut butter has a different moisture level so you may need to add a tablespoon extra to keep the bars from crumbling apart. TWO: Press the bars into the pan firmly! This is what keeps them together so pack them down. You don’t need to be Iron Man, but make sure you don’t just give it a pat and move on. Even let the kiddos help!
You can cut these into any shape you want! The loaf pan makes perfect sized bars for kids! But the little squares are perfect for the younger ones!
Homemade Protein Bars
- 1 1/2 cup oats, dry
- 1/3 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, all-natural
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon chocolate chips, dark
- Prepare a 9X5 loaf pan by greasing it or lining it with parchment paper.
- Use a blender to turn your oats into flour by blending them. Pour into bowl.
- To oat flour, add protein powder and crispy rice cereal.
- In a small sauce pan add peanut butter and honey. Melt together over medium heat and stir until combined, then add vanilla extract.
- Pour peanut butter/honey into dry ingredients and stir. Dump into prepared loaf pan and firmly press into pan.
- Optional: melt chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle into loaf pan.
- Let cool in fridge for at least 25 minutes and then cut into bars or squares!