My 3 year old used to love Goldfish crackers. Every time she asked for a snack, she would ask for Goldfish. Personally I don’t really care for them, and have often wondered why toddlers love them so much. And I finally realized why. It is because we have encouraged our children to love them by having them available in every situation of their little lives! At home, on the road, at church, at friend’s houses, at preschool….and on and on. For some reason it is the go-to snack cracker for little kids. Making your own crackers may seem daunting, but once you do it, you will realize how easy it is and how amazing ‘kids’ crackers can actually taste! This Homemade Cheesy Crackers Recipe is one of our favorite things to make together in the kitchen!
These homemade healthy snack crackers may replace our old friend Goldy……. These are packed with nutrients and are delicious! (for toddlers and adults alike) The great thing about homemade crackers is that you can change up the recipe and make them different every time. Here are a couple of ideas to try:
- Try adding different cheeses to change the flavor
- Garnish with different types of nuts or seeds (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, crushed almonds, etc)
- Try different herbs – fresh or dried – or don’t use herbs at all!
We love getting our kids involved by letting them cut out whatever shape of cracker they want. It is fun to get creative!
Bake them on parchment paper for much easier cleanup! You can fit a lot on a baking sheet and it cuts down on the time it takes to finish a batch.
We packed the whole grains into these crackers by using a combination of oats, whole wheat flour and wheat germ. These grains give you lots of fiber and B vitamins for your growing littles. We also used real cheddar cheese which adds lots of yummy flavor as well as some protein.
Your snacky little toddler won’t even know there is so much nutrition packed into each cracker. They will just love the yummy flavor and the crunchy texture. Homemade crackers are a little bit softer than your normal store-bought crackers and so I feel like they are easier for toddlers to eat.
And you can sneak some for yourself in the meantime! We like to top our crackers with different toppings and include them in our lunch! They are perfect for making a homemade lunchable!
Homemade Cheesy CrackersPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1/2 cup oats, dry
- 3 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- In a food processor or blender add whole wheat flour, rolled oats, wheat germ, salt, and basil.
- Then add the water, olive oil and cheese.
- Pulse in the food processor. The dough should come together into a ball. You can add more water or oil if the dough seems to dry.
- Roll the dough out as thin as possible on a floured surface. Cut out shapes using a knife or cookie cutter.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet (or silpat or parchment paper) Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes – until they start to turn golden.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container for up to a week.