It’s Arman here and I’m stoked to be back again this month with a new recipe to share! Before we get into the post, I’d like to thank all of you who stopped by my blog to introduce yourselves- It’s been great!
You guys, I’ve decided every single recipe I post on here moving forward WILL be kid approved. There have been many times I’ve made a recipe thinking ‘This will be such a hit at parties or events where many kids will be present’ only to realise my taste buds aren’t that of a 10-year-olds….anymore.
I’m fortunate that my neighbors have three little girls- All of whom are under the age of 10 and all of whom are VERY honest with their thoughts on food and snacks. When I asked the youngest one what her favorite snack was, she replied ‘movies’. Her father had to decipher that to me and tell me she meant ‘movie popcorn.’
Ah, yes. Movie popcorn.
The smell in itself could cause my taste buds to dance however, most are notorious for being slathered with butter, artificial flavors and an overload of sugar. I wanted to make my new (junior) friends a delicious snack which they’d like but with a healthy twist- Enter- Healthy Chocolate Brown Bag popcorn!
This healthy chocolate brown bag popcorn takes minutes to whip up and is the perfect chocolate and snack fix in one- Something you can feel good eating AND serving your young ones! It takes less than 5 minutes all up, thanks to some quick microwave action. For those without a microwave or prefer using the stove to pop your kernels, that is perfectly fine too- It’ll just add a few extra minutes to the cooking time!
I was initially afraid that there would not be enough sweetness. However, after getting the official OKAY from my new friends (a.k.a. the bags were empty by the time snack time was over), I knew it was a winner. The next time the snack monster and sweet tooth strikes at once, this quick and easy snack will have your bases covered.
- 1/4 cup popcorn, unpopped kernels
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 none cooking spray
- In a brown paper bag, add 1/4 cup unpopped kernels and fold over 2-3 times. Cook in the microwave for 2.5 – 3 minutes, or until the kernels stop popping every second. Remove and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the dutch processed cocoa, coconut sugar and sea salt and mix well.
- In a large paper bag or mixing bowl, add the popcorn and lightly spray with the coconut oil (or cooking spray). Add the cocoa mixture over it and shake well until fully combined.
- Serve and enjoy!
If Arman could do one thing for The Big Man’s World, he’d open a (no) bakery because he loves spending time in the kitchen creating recipes which require no baking and with a minimal ingredient list. Stop by for delicious, healthy recipes and rants about why he’ll never look like Channing Tatum.