Now that we are in the middle of grilling season, I wanted to share one of my favorite meals. An entire meal that can be served in a bowl is a great way to enjoy a healthy serving of protein, vegetables, fruit and grains. In addition to my favorite Chipotle Lime Chicken Taco Bowl, I make these grilled teriyaki chicken and rice bowls at least a few times a month. It in fact combines all of my favorite flavors in one bowl. Kids and adults love it!
The best thing about this meal is that everything except the rice cooks on the grill. Cilantro lime rice is served with teriyaki marinated grilled chicken, grilled red peppers and onions, grilled zucchini and grilled pineapple. The lime flavors perfectly complement the teriyaki. If you love lime I recommend adding additional lime juice to the rice or even serving the entire bowl with additional lime. Another tip to save time, you can even prep everything in advance. Cook the rice ahead of time, marinate the chicken and then chop all of the vegetables and pineapple ahead of time too. When you are ready to make the bowls, reheat the rice and then cook all of the remaining ingredients on the grill.
You can save even more time by making the teriyaki sauce in advance or purchasing your favorite sauce at the store. If you prefer, you can even omit the rice and enjoy a combination of freshly grilled teriyaki chicken, grilled vegetables and pineapple.
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken and Rice BowlsPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder or 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- juice from one lime
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 4 slices of pineapple
- salt and pepper
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, ginger, rice vinegar and sesame oil. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth then whisk into the sauce mixture until combined. Remove one-fourth cup teriyaki sauce and set aside for serving. Add the chicken to the bowl with the remaining teriyaki sauce and marinate in the refrigerator for at least thirty minutes.
- To make the cilantro lime rice, in a medium saucepan bring two cups of water to a boil. Add rice and a dash of salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for fifteen minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Cut two large pieces of aluminum foil. Divide the red bell pepper and red onion between the two pieces, drizzle with one teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pull the short sides up and roll them down over each other, then fold over each end to seal and create a packet.
- Prepare grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Brush and oil the grill grate.
- Place the marinated chicken and the vegetable packets on the grill directly over the fire. Cook chicken until the juices run clear and the chicken is cooked through, about five to eight minutes on each side. Cook vegetable packets until done, about fifteen to twenty minutes. While the chicken and vegetable packets are cooking, brush zucchini with remaining olive oil and then arrange the sliced zucchini and pineapple on the grill. Cook for two minutes on each side.
- To arrange the bowls, divide rice between two bowls. Layer each with one piece of chicken, contents of one vegetable packet (be careful opening the foil packets because they will release steam), two slices of pineapple and zucchini. Garnish chicken with sesame seeds and serve with additional teriyaki sauce, as desired. Enjoy!