For a delicious way to start the day, try homemade granola bar bowls!
Getting into a morning routine can be a great way to set up your kids for a healthy day! Some things included in our morning routine include:
- A healthy breakfast
- Quiet/meditation/spiritual – devotional time
- and Planning meeting (letting the family know what is on the agenda for the day)
It might sound like a lot to get done before you leave the house, but none of it needs to take more than a few minutes. The chores rotate, and are simply: unload dishes, wipe counters, take out the garbage and sweep the floor. We have a short family devotional or prayer. It really helps us connect! Since I’ve been exercising from the beginning of time, the kids have off and on, joined in. Sometimes, now that they are older, they will ride their bikes, go on a walk or run, or simply do some stretches or push-ups with me. We review the calendar briefly so everyone knows what is happening at the end of the day. And then there is BREAKFAST!!
We’re big fans of homemade granola bars at my house! In fact, it’s rare they make it past the hot stage, into a lunch or other snacks throughout the week unless I hide them first. We also love homemade granola! So, we decided to mold our homemade granola bars into a muffin tin, to be the perfect breakfast bowl!
First, mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, salt. Then, over heat in a saucepan, we melted and brought to a boil, peanut butter, oil, honey, and brown sugar. Once it started to boil, we poured it over our dry ingredients.
The trick is to scoop enough of the granola mixture into the muffin cup, and press against and up the sides to form a bowl. Once we made 12 of these, we baked them!
After baking, don’t take them right out of the pan! They need to cool, or they will turn into a crumbly mess. Gently scrape the edge between the granola and the muffin tin, to loosen it up and not have it stick while it cools.
Once completely cooled, then you can safely remove the entire bowl from the pan. You can then fill it with your favorite fruit and yogurt! Almost like a parfait- but tastier!
- 2 cup oats, dry
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, all-natural
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine oats, nuts, and seeds in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine salt, peanut butter, honey, flax oil, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and immediately remove from heat. Pour over oats mixture and combine until dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Spray a muffin tin. Press a scoop of dough on the bottom, and up the sides of the muffin tin, forming a bowl.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until starting to brown. Remove from oven. Using a spatula or knife, loosen granola bowl from the edges of the pan, without removing the granola bowl. Allow to cool for at least 2 hours, and then they can be removed.
For more breakfast ideas, check out our meal plans and member recipes!