Calzone Countdown with Pear Salsa
Tasty pockets filled with fresh veggies and cheese make a cute and healthy lunch. Serve with marinara for dipping!Print Pin Rate
- 1 tablespoon yeast, active dry
- 3 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 1/2 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1/2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, red
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, yellow
- 1/2 cup, pieces or slices mushrooms, white
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 medium pear
- 2 medium orange
- 2 medium kiwi
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and 1 cup warm water; let set for 5 minutes; it will begin to look frothy.
- In a medium bowl mix 1 teaspoon salt, olive oil, and flours. Add in yeast mixture and stir to combine well; hands may need to be used as this time. Let dough rise, covered, in a warm place for about 30-45 minutes.
- Toss veggies into a food processor and chop finely; mix in shredded cheese, remaining salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit.
- Roll out a small portion of the dough at a time, for mini calzones we use a golf ball size. Roll or press out. Fill middle with a thin layer marinara sauce and a scoop of veggies. Fold calzone in half and then crimp edges with a fork. Set on baking tray.
- Whisk 1 egg white in a small bowl. With a pastry brush, brush the top of the calzone with egg white.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. Test to make sure dough is done baking by tapping on it. It should sound hollow.
- Let cool slightly and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Chop pears, oranges, and kiwi into small pieces. Mix together and serve in small bowls.
Calories: 437kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 846mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 14g