4 Ingredient Cheesy Carrot Crackers – These homemade crackers, made with only 4 real food ingredients, are the perfect healthy snack for kids!
Hi! Tiffany here from Feel Great in 8 here. I’m super excited to be back here on Super Healthy Kids! I want to share a simple healthy recipe I know your kids will love!
4 Ingredient Cheesy Carrot Crackers
These four ingredient crackers (yep, literally just 4 ingredients – and one of them is a vegetable!) are the perfect homemade substitute to a certain neon orange cracker lots of kids love. My kids devour this healthy snack and would never even guess they are packed with healthy real food ingredients!
Now, I do need to warn you…they aren’t neon orange like the store bought kind. Real carrots and cheese aren’t neon. 😉
I love that that’s a lesson my kids are learning young – to look for and choose real food options, not fake, bright, neon colors. I hope it’s one they always remember. And, of course, I try hard to have lots of healthy real-food snack options in the fridge or pantry. This recipe is definitely a favorite.
All you need to make these crackers is carrots, sharp cheddar cheese, whole grain flour and eggs. That’s it! You can even substitute oat flour or another gluten free flour if you’re avoiding gluten.
You can also make these fun crackers into any shape you and your kids want! After rolling out the dough you can use any shape of cookie cutter to make fish shape crackers, stars, hearts, bunnies or even bears. The sky is the limit!
Make sure to have your little ones help cut out the shapes too. My kids love to help in the kitchen and they always eat more of the healthy foods they help me make.
I hope you and your kids love this recipe as much as we do! And, if you’re looking for more simple healthy recipes checkout this post – 44 Healthy Recipes with 4 Ingredients or Less.
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 large egg
- 1 cup flour, whole wheat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the grated carrot and water in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and cook in high for 3 minutes.
- Drain the carrots and then use a clean cloth to squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Put the carrots, cheese and eggs in a food processor and pulse until well blended. You can process them more or less, depending on the texture you want. The more you do, they less obvious the carrot will be. 😉
- Add the flour 1/4 cup at a time, pulsing in-between, just until you reach a dough consistency. You don’t want it to be too sticky, or too dry.
- Lightly flour your work surface, roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut to desired shapes. I just used a pizza cutter to cut long strips and then small 1 inch squares.
- Put shapes on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Sprinkle with a little course sea salt (optional).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are crispy and slightly brown on the edges.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.