Your kids want a treat (and you do too), but:
- You want it to be sorta healthy (including fruit is always a good idea)
- You don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen.
- You don’t want to go get special ingredients at the store.
So, make these Apple Pie Snacks! We came up with these as we were contemplating what we wanted to do with our box of apples. So, we used:
- Graham Crackers
- light cream cheese
- 2 apples
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (I mix regular sugar and brown sugar)
We chopped our apples into tiny pieces and placed in a bowl. Combine the cinnamon with the sugars. Then sprinkled the cinnamon/sugar mix over the apples. Microwaved the apples for 1 minute. Took them our and stirred it. Put it back in for 1 more minute. Then we scooped our chopped/cooked apples onto a graham cracker with cream cheese spread on top. We then added a tiny bit of caramel and chocolate, but that is totally optional!
I’ve been talking about apples all week, but I haven’t mentioned that apples are a great food to include in your kids diets! The benefits of apples are:
- They are a good source of fiber! (Remember, kids need 10 grams of fiber plus their age)
- Their skin holds powerful antioxidants that fight inflammation.
- They are great for optimal digestion. (kids feel better when they can ‘digest’.. if you know what I mean!)
- One study from Finland showed apple consumption was linked to lower rates of asthma!
Apple Pie In Only 3 Minutes!
- 2 medium apple
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, low fat
- 12 large rectangular piece or 2 squares or 4 small rectangular pieces graham crackers
- Chop apples into tiny pieces and place in a bowl.
- Combine the cinnamon with the sugars.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mix over the apples. Microwave the apples for 1 minute.
- Take the apples out and stir them. Put it back in for 1 more minute.
- Scoop chopped/cooked apples onto a graham cracker with cream cheese spread on top.
- Add a tiny bit of caramel and chocolate, but that is totally optional!