Thai Basil Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 8 ounces snow peas
- 14 ounces coconut milk canned, light or regular
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 3 cups white rice, cooked for serving
- Dice chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl. In a small, stir together the curry, salt, pepper and chili powder. Sprinkle over the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside. Dice the red onion and slice the bell pepper. Remove the seeds and the membrane from the jalapeno and finely dice.
- Add the avocado oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion and peppers are softened and fragrant.
- Add the chicken to the skillet, and cook for a couple of minutes until the outside begins to brown. Add the bell pepper and snow peas and continue cooking for another 5-6 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Whisk the coconut milk and cornstarch together in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup. Pour into the skillet with the chicken, and cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce is thickened. Stir in the fresh basil and remove from the heat. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice. Enjoy!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie