Instant Pot Gooey Cheesy Spaghetti Squash
Gooey, cheesy amazing spaghetti squash cooked in the Instant Pot in just minutes!
Check out our Ultimate Guide to Spaghetti Squash for TOP tips on cutting and cooking spaghetti squash that you won’t find anywhere else.
Why Cooking a Spaghetti Squash in the Instant Pot is the Best Method
Slicing a spaghetti squash is one of the hardest things I have ever had to cut in the kitchen. It has a thick, tough rind that makes even the sharpest knife difficult to cut through. If you cook the squash whole in the Instant Pot, then you don’t have to cut it until it is already cooked! Piece of cake.
Just pierce the squash with a knife to vent, and then place it on the trivet with a cup of water in the pot. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes for a 3-pound squash. (If your squash is larger, I’d add 3 more minutes to the cook time.) Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes before manually turning the pressure release valve to venting, then use heat-proof oven mitts to remove the squash. You may want to let the squash cool slightly before slicing it in half and removing the seeds with a spoon because it will be HOT!
How Do you Cook a Spaghetti Squash?
There are a lot more ways to cook a spaghetti squash than just in an Instant Pot. Maybe you don’t own one, or maybe your squash is too big to fit in the Instant Pot. This article gives 5 really great ways to cook a spaghetti squash.
What To Serve with Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is hearty enough to be served as the main dish of a meal, but it is a vegetable and so the dilemma is what to serve with it?
- Spinach Salad with nuts and fruit
- Fresh Fruit
- Bread or Rolls
Why Do People Like to Eat Spaghetti Squash?
Spaghetti squash is an easy, tasty, veggie side dish. We love it because it has so much nutrition in it and gives us variety when we are trying to include different vegetables in our diet.
Spaghetti squash is also rich in the B vitamins riboflavin, niacin, and thiamin. Folate is also found in this bright-colored vegetable. It is high in potassium, manganese, calcium, iron, phosphorus and zinc. Another reason to eat it is for its omega-3 and omega-6 fat content.
Some people like the fact that this squash resembles spaghetti but is a lot lower in carbs and calories. It can be a great pasta substitute for people who are watching both of these.
More Spaghetti Squash Recipes
- Superfood Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Italian Baked Spaghetti Squash
- Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Bake
- Avocado Pesto Spaghetti Squash
Instant Pot Gooey Cheesy Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium Spaghetti Squash
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounce Parmesan cheese
- 2 medium peach
- 4 cup spinach
- 1 cup blueberries
- 4 medium rolls, dinner, wheat
- Using a paring knife, pierce squash several times all over, to allow for steam to release.
- Put the steam rack inside the Instant Pot, and place the squash on top. Add water and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Release the pressure carefully, using quick release; remove the squash by picking up the steam rack.
- Preheat oven to broil setting. Slice squash in half, lengthwise. Remove the seeds and discard. Gently pull back squash with a fork, and place strands into a mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and 2 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese. Stir to evenly coat.
- Place the empty squash onto a baking sheet and fill back up with squash strands. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan and broil until cheese has melted and become slightly browned. While cooling, assemble salad.
- Remove pit from peaches, dice. Toss in a bowl with spinach and blueberries. Toss with your favorite dressing.
- Serve squash with salad and a roll.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.