Healthify Your Celebrations: Cinco De Mayo
Whether you are celebrating Cinco De Mayo, or your family just loves Nacho’s for dinner, try this recipe and everyone will like it!
Homemade Corn Chips Directions
- Purchase corn tortillas (or make your own tortillas)
- Slice tortillas with pizza cutter, knife, or cookie cutters
- Arrange on a cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray, or drizzle with olive oil.
- Add seasonings (or just salt)
- Bake at 425 for about 10 minutes. Watch carefully!
Beef Taco Meat
- 2 lbs. of beef (chuck or rump roast)
- 1 1/4 cups of canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 TBL vegetable oil
- 2 TBL white vinegar
- 1 Package Casa Mexicana Beef Taco Seasoning
- Combine beef, oil, and vinegar in a deep pot, add enough water to cover beef. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. (or cook beef in crock pot for several hours)
- Remove beef from pot and shred, reserve 1 1/4 cups of stock.
- Add shredded beef, reserved broth, crushed tomatoes, and seasoning packet into the pot, mix thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for 15 minutes. Do not let sauce dry out.
- Serve over warm corn chips with lettuce, avocados, tomatoes, etc.
Are you making anything special for Cinco De Mayo?
Casa Mexicana Seasonings have no MSG, no artificial preservatives, and no hydrogenated fats. The Beef Taco recipe came straight from the seasoning packet that the company provided me with. It was delicious!!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
Leave a Comment:Did you make this recipe? Leave a review!
Slice tortillas with a cookie cutter! See? You’re brilliant! I need to start thinking more like you! 😀
I love a reason to celebrate…but it is even better when we can do it in a healthy way!
Love the cute taco salad! Thanks for the idea. I was wondering what to do for dinner tonight – and now I know!
~B: LOL… My brain isn’t hard to figure out… Cookie cutters for everything!
Looks like fun to eat and healthy too. I’m going to try this even if it’s not cinco de mayo. Thanks for the recipe.
Looking forward to the cup! Are you also working on cute toddler utensils? I was thinking of getting the Elmo utensils but I’d totally hold out for yours!
I don’t have utensils in the making yet.. but I’m glad you are excited about the cup!
I love to make my own tortilla chips, but I do not like to use cooking spray and I would rather not add extra oil. So I put a dab or lemon or lime juice on the tortilla and spread it around before sprinkling with salt and garlic powder. Added flavor–no added fat!