This wholesome, classic comfort food is packed with flavor and perfect for winter meals.
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2 medium russet potato
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium leek
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 4 ounce clams, raw
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 3 each bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 2 pint half and half
- Combine butter and flour in a saucepan until butter is melted and a you have made a roux (thick butter/flour paste). Set aside.
- Dice potato, celery, onion, leek, and bell pepper; toss all into a large saucepan. Chop clams and add to veggies. Combine all remaining ingredients except half-and-half.
- Simmer until potatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- Add butter-flour mixture to chowder and stir until thick.
- Remove chowder from heat.
- Stir in half-and-half until blended.
- Heat to serving temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 706mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie