This Chickpea Ratatouille is delicious, healthy and filling! It’s easy to make and perfect for you next lunch or dinner. It’s bright, colorful and loaded with all kinds of vegetables.
Loaded with Fresh Produce
One thing I love about living in Utah are the Summers and the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables everyone is growing. I have seen so many people post on our neighborhood facebook page telling people that they have a basket of fresh picked veggies from their garden sitting on their porch and to come get it. Today I picked up some zucchini, summer squash and eggplant. Lucky me! I love scoring some fresh produce that is grown locally. There is not a better time to make this delicious dish of Chickpea Ratatouille than this time of the year.
Make on the Weekend and Enjoy Throughout the Week
Its filled with zucchini, squash, tomatoes, onions,eggplant and just the right amount of spices then topped with fresh basil. Do you need to get all your veggies in before the end of the day? We love adding multiple veggies in one meal and getting a bunch in at once. This vegetable based soup recipe is great because it can be made on the weekend to enjoy throughout the week and it freezes well. It is easy to take out and to be reheated for those nights you get home late from playing or from work.
How to Make This One Pot Dish
Start by draining your canned tomatoes while reserving ½ cup of the liquid. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pour chickpeas, tomatoes and the reserved liquid into a mixing bowl and toss together. Mince garlic, dice onion and the pepper. Cut zucchini, summer squash and eggplant into small cubes. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet then add garlic, onion, pepper, zucchini, summer squash and eggplant. Toss together and saute for 6-7 minute or until tender. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and remaining salt and toss together. Cover and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally during cooking to avoid sticking and burning. Add the vinegar, paprika and fresh sliced basil. Stir together and cook for a few minutes to allow for thickening then enjoy.
You won’t believe the flavor in this easy to make Chickpea Ratatouille! Who knew healthy could taste so good. Is it SO GOOD! Plus it’s a one-pot recipe so if you hate loading your dishwasher and scrubbing dishes like me, this is definitely a meal for you.
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 30 ounce chickpeas (garbanzo beans), canned
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium onion, red
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium squash, summer
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, red wine
- 2 leaves basil, fresh
- 4 slice bread, french
- 4 tablespoon pesto
- 2 medium orange
- Drain tomatoes while reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid. Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Pour chickpeas, tomatoes and the reserved liquid into a mixing bowl and toss together.
- Mince garlic, dice onion and bell pepper. Cut zucchini, summer squash and eggplant into small cubes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet; add garlic, onion, pepper, zucchini, summer squash and eggplant. Toss together and saute for 6-7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, pepper and paprika; toss together. Cover and simmer on low for 5 minutes; stir at least once during cooking avoid sticking.
- Add vinegar and fresh, sliced basil. Stir together and cook for a few minutes to allow for thickening.
- While it continues to cook and thicken, slice bread and toast. Spread each slice with pesto. Serve with ratatouille and orange slices.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie
Sounds yummy! Can’t wait to try it!
It is REALLY good! My daughter liked it, my son wouldn’t try it.
This looks absolutely amazing!! Thank you for sharing. I can not wait to try this recipe!
I just cooked this and it’s delicious. It was so cheap to buy the ingredients. I love it. Thanks! Keep on posting more recipes.