- 1 medium onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound butternut squash
- 15 ounce chickpeas (garbanzo beans), canned
- 2 tablespoon curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- 2 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen
- 2 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 medium mango
- Chop onion, garlic, and cilantro; set aside separately.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add onion and saute for 6-7 minutes; add garlic and saute for 1 minute longer.
- While onions are cooking, cut squash into cubes the size of the chickpeas (this will allow for more even cooking).
- Add curry paste to onions and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Add squash, drained and rinsed chickpeas, coconut milk, water, and salt. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice as directed on package.
- Once squash is fork tender, uncover skillet and allow liquid to reduce a bit, cooking for approximately 3-5 minutes. Stir in the spinach, peas, and coconut flakes; allow to heat through. Season with pepper and top with cilantro.
- Serve over rice with mango on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie