- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- With a knife, carefully score squash lengthwise where you’re going to cut it in half. Poke a few holes along the score.
- Microwave the squash for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Carefully cut the squash in a half. Scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the inside of both halves of the squash with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the two halves cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast the squash until tender, about 30 minutes. Allow several minutes to cool.
- Using a fork, scrape the insides to create a spaghetti-like texture. Leave insides in the squash.
- While the squash is roasting, dice onion and mince garlic.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef. Season with salt, if desired. Cook and stir until cooked through, breaking the beef into small crumbles, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded squash, crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a simmer.
- Divide the beef mixture evenly between the two squash halves.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly between both halves.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately, with grapes on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie