Looking for ways to include more fruits and vegetables at every meal? Check out our meal plans for help today!
Homemade Crackers: Alternative to Goldfish Crackers!
My 3 year old used to love Goldfish crackers. Every time she asked for a snack, she would ask for Goldfish. Personally I don't really care for them, and have often wondered why toddlers love them so much. And I finally realized why. It is because we have encouraged our children to love them by having them available in every situation of their little lives! At home, on the road, at church, at friend's houses, at preschool....and on and on. For some reason it is the go-to snack cracker for little kids. They are packed full of preservatives and they really aren't even good!
These homemade healthy snack crackers may replace our old friend Goldy....... These are packed with nutrients and are delicious! (for toddlers and adults alike) The great thing about homemade crackers is that you can change up the recipe and make them different every time. Here are a couple of ideas to try:
- Try adding different cheeses to change the flavor
- Garnish with different types of nuts or seeds (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, crushed almonds, etc)
- Try different herbs - fresh or dried - or don't use herbs at all!
In a food processor or blender add the first 5 ingredients:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, blended until fine in a blender or food processor
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs- OPTIONAL (I used dried basil and they were delish)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive or other oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Then add the water, olive oil and cheese. Blend - the dough should come together into a ball. You can add more water or oil if the dough seems to dry.
Roll the dough out as thin as possible on a floured surface. Cut out shapes using a knife or cookie cutter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet (or silpat or parchment paper) Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes - until they start to turn golden.
Serve to your snacky little toddler.
Devour and feel happy about knowing exactly what they are eating!