The zucchini crust pizza is toasted until the cheese is melted for a delicious crust that’s healthier than a traditional pizza crust.
Calling all pizza lovers for dinner tonight! Tired of feeling sluggish and uncomfortable after eating pizza the more traditional way? If so, this recipe is for you. This Zucchini Crust Pizza is a low-carb pizza topped with tomato sauce, basil, green peppers and mozzarella cheese.
Not Your Traditional Pizza Crust
How many of you are just about done with your zucchini harvest? I am not sure how many more different recipes I can come up with to use all the zucchini from the garden! But if you are stuck in a rut, and want to peruse zucchini recipes, we have you covered! Today I found a new one and I am excited to share it with you all. It’s a no fail Zucchini Crust Pizza. I am a huge fan of pizza and I love zucchini so why not add those together to make an amazing fun meal? Zucchini is just so tasty and versatile. When you make pizza crust with it, it turns out amazingly flavorful and so different from traditional pizzas. You will not feel guilty even after eating 3 slices. This was super easy to put together and it baked perfectly.
The Perfect Veggie Style Pizza Crust
When I made this recipe, I thought the crust was going to be too soft for my taste and would have to be eaten with a fork. To my surprise the pizza crust handled a lot of toppings and I was able to pick it up with my hands and it was the perfect consistency for a pizza crust.
Let’s get to the baking of this pizza. Start by preheating your oven to 450 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. This will help keep your crust crispy. Don’t skip this step. Shred the zucchini and add it to a large bowl and let sit 10-15 minutes – this step is to drain all the extra water from the zucchini. After you drain the water, using a tea towel or several sturdy paper towels, add in 1/2 cup of zucchini into towel and wring dry. Repeat with remaining zucchini. When you are finished, you should have about 1 cup of zucchini remaining. Add zucchini, egg, cheese, pepper and flour to a large mixing bowl. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Dump zucchini mixture onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a spatula, thin and spread out the batter so that it forms a round crust approximately 9 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. This recipe made 1, 9 inch pizza so make enough for each of your family members.
Golden, Brown, Crispy Zucchini Crust
Bake in oven about 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and both sides are cooked. Flip over crust and bake an additional 10 minutes until top is crispy. Flip pizza crust back over. Lower oven temperature to 400 F. Now it is time to add whatever pizza ingredients you desire to your crust. I did a layer of marinara sauce, followed by fresh slices of mozzarella, sliced bell peppers and fresh basil leaves. Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
A Good Way to Use All Your Leftover Veggies
This is a good way to use up all those extra veggies you have in your refrigerator. For pizza nights at our house my kids love when I put all the pizza toppings in bowls so they can go around the table and add what ever toppings they would like to their personal pizza. I find the more veggie options I have out, the more they put on their pizzas. Encourage them to add a new topping each time you make a pizza. We like to serve sliced fruit or make a fruit salad along with our pizzas.
Zucchini Crust Pizza
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 large egg
- 2 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 6 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1/2 cup basil, fresh
- 2 medium orange
- 2 medium apple
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Shred zucchini.
- Add zucchini to a large bowl and let sit 10-15 minutes. Drain excess water from zucchini bowl. Using a tea towel or several sturdy paper towels, add in 1/2 cup of zucchini into towel and wring dry. Repeat with remaining zucchini. When you are finished, you should have about 2 cups of zucchini.
- Add zucchini, egg, cheese, pepper and flour to a large mixing bowl. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Divide zucchini mixture in half. Dump each half onto the parchment paper to make two crusts. Using a spatula, spread out the batter so that it forms a round crust approximately 9 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Flip the crusts over and bake an additional 10 minutes until top is crispy. Flip pizza crusts back over.
- Lower oven temperature to 400 F. Top each with a layer of marinara sauce, followed by slices of fresh mozzarella, sliced bell peppers and fresh basil leaves. Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Cut oranges and apples into slices. Slice pizzas into quarters.
- Serve pizza with fruit on the side.
What is your favorite way to use up all your extra veggies in your refrigerator?
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie