We cut back the cheese and added super flavorful roasted veggies for a mac and cheese that both kids and adults will gobble up!!
Roasted Veggie Mac and Cheese
- 1 1/4 cup broccoli, florets
- 1 1/4 cup cauliflower, florets
- 1 1/4 cup, cubes butternut squash
- 1 1/4 cup Brussels sprouts
- 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounce elbow noodles
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1/4 medium onion, red
- 1/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 5 ounce cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with aluminum foil, and coat with cooking spray. Toss broccoli, cauliflower, cubed squash, and Brussels sprouts with olive oil, and season with salt. Spread vegetables in an even layer on prepared baking sheets. Cover with foil. Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring vegetables and rotating pans halfway through cooking time, until vegetables are soft and have begun to brown around the edges.
- While vegetables roast, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting fat and salt. Drain, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, and cook about 2 minutes. Add flour, and cook another minute or until the flour mixture is golden and well combined. Add milk and broth; whisk, increasing heat to medium-high, until mixture comes to a boil. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes or until it thickens slightly, and then season with pepper.
- Remove pan from heat; add cheeses, and stir until cheeses are melted. Add cooked pasta, and mix well; fold in roasted vegetables.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie