Orange Zucchini Bread Makeover Recipe- ORANGE ZUCCHINI!
When you think of zucchini bread, even though you have made it a hundred times and you know exactly what is in it – doesn’t part of you think that it has got to be somewhat healthy because it has veggies in it? I definitely do! But the reality is that is has enough sugar and oil to rival a cake or cookie. That doesn’t change the fact that I love zucchini bread and that my garden is exploding with zucchini and so I practically have to make it. Once a long time ago a friend made a chocolate chip orange zucchini bread. It was to die for. This friend is an excellent cook, but definitely not on the healthy side of things. Since then, I have searched and searched for a recipe and finally came up with this one.
I made this to take to a family dinner, and my dad does not really like chocolate chips in his baked goods (crazy!) and so I made one with walnuts. Also I just sprinkled them on the top in case other people don’t like nuts and so you could just cut off the nut layer on top. I personally thought both versions were delicious!
This bread is your basic run of the mill quick bread with a few ingredients added, and a few ingredients taken away. I love the hint of orange flavor combined with the chocolate chips – but I also love the crunchy texture of the walnuts in the other loaf. Either way this bread is a crowd pleaser. You can double or even triple the recipe and freeze the extra loaves for the next time you get a craving but don’t have fresh zucchini – or don’t have an hour to let it bake 🙂
Orange Zucchini Bread Makeover RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup 100% or fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- optional: chocolate chips or chopped nuts to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine orange juice, oil, applesauce, eggs, vanilla, orange extract, and orange zest.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt and baking soda; mix well.
- Add orange juice mixture to dry ingredients; stir until just combined. Fold in zucchini.
- Pour into two 8×4-inch loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
For more ideas on eating more fruits and veggies with every meal, check out our meal plan subscriptions!