- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, part skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium apple
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 cup cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cut zucchini into thin sticks and then into smaller pieces. (If you prefer to grate, there will be more liquid released so they may not be as fluffy.) In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, ricotta, egg, the zest of the lemon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Gently mix in bread crumbs, being careful not to overmix. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the salad: Chop the apple and bell pepper, and shred the carrot and cabbage. Add to a large bowl and toss with oil, honey, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
- Add enough oil to a large skillet to form a 1/4 inch layer and heat over medium. Shape zucchini batter into thick patties and gently add to hot oil in skillet; cook 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels to remove excess oil. Add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve zucchini cakes with salad.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie