- 11 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast, active dry
- 2 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- Combine 1.5 cups warm water (80-90°F), sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. (If you do not have a stand mixer, just mix in a large bowl and knead dough by hand.) Sprinkle yeast on top and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix the whole wheat and all-purpose flours together. (Optional: if you have vital wheat gluten, add 1 tablespoon now.)
- Using a dough hook, add flour mixture 1 cup at a time to the liquid, mixing on a low speed until it begins to form into a ball. Continue mixing until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Put ball of dough into a greased bowl and cover with a towel or plastic wrap. Keep in a warm place and let rise for 30-60 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and separate into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a short log, about 4-5 inches long. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out each log to about 15 inches long.
- Shape into a pretzel form (or other creative shape). Wet the ends with water so the dough sticks together. Let the pretzels rest on the prepared baking sheet.
- Add 10 cups of water to a large pot and add baking soda; bring to a boil.
- Add one pretzel at a time to the water, boiling for 30 seconds each; remove using a large flat spatula or tongs. Place pretzels back on baking sheet, spoon some water over top, and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 7126mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g