- 1 cup RICE, BROWN, LONG-GRAIN, RAW
- 2 cup black beans, canned
- 1 can drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans), canned
- 2 stalk, medium (7-1/2″ – 8″ long) celery
- 2 medium carrot
- 1/2 medium whole (2-3/5″ dia) tomato, red
- 12 spear tip (2″ long or less) ASPARAGUS
- 1 tsp, ground OREGANO, DRIED
- 1 tsp parsley, dried
- 1 tsp, ground BASIL, DRIED, GROUND
- 1 fruit (2-1/8″ dia) lemon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp, ground black pepper, ground
- 4 medium (3″ dia) apple
- Cook rice according package directions –Make 2 cups of rice instead of 1 if you are using it for lunch later this week! Drain and rinse beans and chickpeas; set aside.
- Chop celery, carrots and tomato.
- Bend asparagus in half and discard the woody ends. Steam asparagus tips until they are just tender with a small amount of water for about 5 minutes in the microwave on high, yet still crisp.
- Stir together all ingredients with the spices, spritz with juice from a lemon, sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with apple slices on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie