- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 1/2 medium bell pepper, red
- 1/4 cup barley, pearled, dry
- 1/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained
- 2 tablespoon parsley, dried
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/8 cup flour, whole wheat
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium rolls, hard
- 2 cup spinach
- 1 medium avocado
- 4 apricot apricot
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Once temperature is set, toss in the sweet potato. Cook for 40-60 minutes, or until it is tender when squeezed.
- Slice the peppers. Add them to the oven the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, cook barley and quinoa separately, as directed on package.
- When sweet potato is done, and cooled to touch, peel the skin off and then combine the flesh with the chickpeas, parsley, cayenne, cumin, salt, pepper, flour and 1 tablespoon of oil, in a food processor or high-powered blender. Blend well. Mix bean mixture with cooled barley and quinoa.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat; place 4 even scoops of mixture into hot skillet and flatten out like a patty. Allow to brown on each side.
- Serve on a roll with spinach, avocado slices and roasted red pepper slices; apricots on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie