- 2 cup broccoli, florets
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 1 clove garlic
- 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 2 medium bay leaf
- 1 large egg
- 15 ounce ricotta cheese, part skim milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 6 ounce lasagna noodles, dry
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cup pineapple
- Chop broccoli, zucchini, onion, and bell pepper; mince garlic.
- In a large saucepan, stir together undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, onion, bell pepper, basil (or oregano if you prefer), bay leaves, and garlic. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaves.
- While sauce is cooking, stir together egg, ricotta (or cottage) cheese, Parmesan, and black pepper. Fold in broccoli.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the sauce over the bottom of a 8X8 baking dish.
- Layer half of the uncooked noodles, half of the broccoli mixture, and half of the remaining sauce in the pan. Repeat layers, ending with the sauce.
- Bake, covered with foil, for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over top, then bake 5 minutes more, uncovered, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with chopped pineapple on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie